BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 13: Pages 37-39

It's interesting to me that in this chapter the Lord commands Nephi to build the ship. He doesn't go to Lehi and tell him to tell Nephi to build the ship. He goes directly to Nephi. That may not mean anything, but I like to think that it is the transference of priesthood authority. Nephi is not the head of the family, or even the "senior" member of the priesthood, but he is starting to have authority over the affairs of their people. Just something to think about.

Okay onto the real meat of these three pages. I love verse 13 of chapter 17. (A) it is a repeat of the Book of Mormon promise - which is always cool. (B) I like the picture that I get in my head when I think of the Lord lighting the wilderness for Nephi - I wonder how that looked? (C) My favorite part of this scripture is easily overlooked - the final line "and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led."

I can think back to critical times in my life where I had to decide on a path to take: what college to attend, what major to settle on, where to do my student teaching, where to live, what job to take, who to date, who not to date, who to marry, when to start a family, and so on and so forth. In most of these cases, I was unsure - even after I had made my decision - whether I was following the Lord's path and plan, or my own path and plan. What a comfort it would have been to "KNOW that it is by the Lord" that I was led. Confirmation that my path coincided with the Lord's did eventually come, but to KNOW...wow, what a blessing and a promise.

Finally, I love starting in verse 23 how easily Nephi "likens the scriptures" to himself. What a talent to see so clearly how his journey with his family is like that of Moses and the children of Israel. I wish I were that good at applying the scripture stories to my own experiences!

0 comments: